Thursday, September 25, 2008

Mothering At A Distance-A Care Package Timeline









My son has been serving a church mission for the last two years and will be returning home November 7th. So to honor his last days I will be sending him a care package, but not jut any care package, a birthday care package since his birthday is in October. While I'm not a pro by any means, I've sent out a few in my lifetime (having sent out a few to my husband in Taiwan 30 years ago), I do have a thing or two to tell you about the timeline. Thankfully, sending care packages now is much faster than it was 30 years ago.


  1. I usually start with a target date to send, marking that down in my calendar. I then know that I have a certain amount of time to start gathering things or making food items, such as cookies, to put inside the care package.

  2. I like to have a theme. It makes it easier for shopping. For example, this time the care package will be centered around a birthday-his birthday.

  3. Make sure that when you send the care package, to send it so it arrives around the birthday. It would be very sad that something does not arrive near or on a birthday.

So with a birthday theme in mind, this year I've planned on making my son a Rice Krispie Pizza. I saw this recipe and thought that he would love it. One thing I need to do is find some cardboard that is round, or make it myself.


Then I will need to buy the "pizza toppings" , aka candy, and the other ingredients. I will look for sales about a week prior to this so that I can maximize my money. I know that sending a care package is not cheap, but definitely worth it!

About a day before I get ready to send the care package, I will make the Rice Krispie Pizza. After refrigerating the "pizza", the next day I will prepare it for packing. Add more fun items if you want. I will add a birthday card as well.

The last thing I will do is go to either a UPS store or another shipping facility and send the care package, and pray that is makes it to its destination on time, and in tact. I get a tracking number so that I can at least know when it has arrived and not have to hold my breath one day more. UPS guy...the clock is ticking!

I will take a picture of the results the night before I pack this Rice Krispie Birthday Pizza so you'll know how it turned out. I will post it on one of my recipe posting days. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I seem to forget those who are not under my nose, sometimes. It's good to know how to organize myself to remember others and share that love over the distance. I hadn't thought about all the particulars I would have to go through.