Thursday, July 3, 2008

Where's That Bill?













Ok, so I made a goal, if you will, to write about finance tips on Fridays, but since this Friday is a holiday, I will post finance tips this Thursday instead. Have you ever gone to pay a bill and found that you cannot find where you put it, let alone when it's due? I may have a solution for you. I've organized a system dedicated to opening, paying my bills, and organizing them. Here's what I do. When I get a bill in the mail, I immediately open it up, glance over it for any suspicious activity on the account, then I jot the due date down on my calendar. My calendar happens to be inside my "Bills Due" folder, so it's effortless. I then file it away in a 3-ring binder under that bills' title. For example, if my electricity bill from SRP is due on July 7th, I note that down on my calendar, then file the bill under SRP in my notebook. Do this with all of your bills so you know when they are due. I also have my bill categories in alphabetical order so I know where to easily find the bill.
So, here's the rundown:

  • Receive bill
  • Look over for unauthorized charges
  • Write down the due date on a calendar
  • Immediately file the bill away

This simple process of opening and scanning your bills as they come in is how you start controlling your money so it doesn't control you. It also takes very little effort if you stay on top of this every day. Nothing lost, nothing overlooked.

No comments: