Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Caging Vegetable Plants


I found some tomato cages just laying around the backyard. I almost threw them away thinking that there was no use for them. Then I thought I could use them another way other than how they were intended for. Although they are hard to see in this picture, I just simply turned them upside down and covered my cucumber plants, bell peppers, and my tomato plants with them, so that the heavier end is at the bottom. One of my tomato plants' has the cage the normal way, due to my husband's "help". Then my plants can crawl up their cage and wrap themselves around it so that the cucumbers and tomatoes can nicely hang from it. In another one of my posts, Tomato Plant Support, there are some other ideas I've found on the internet if you don't like the caged ideas using wire. I've also found the last month and a half or so since I've started my container garden, that the amount of sunlight that my container garden spot receives has been perfect. It receives about 6 hours of direct sunlight per day. According to a master gardener at the Arizona Cooperative Extension office, root crops and leaf crops can tolerate partial shade, but vegetables grown for their fruits generally need at least 5 hours of full, direct sunlight each day, and perform better with 8 to 10 hours. Container gardening lends itself to attractive plantscaping. A dull patio area can be brightened by the addition of baskets of cascading tomatoes or a colorful herb mix. With my little garden on the back patio, I now have a nice little salad display.

No comments: