Thursday, July 10, 2008

Homemade Bread Simply Made

I made my homemade bread this morning in my Bosch bread machine, and the smell lingering in the air as I write this post is a wonderful aroma in the house. Ahhh!!! I make bread about every other week and what I don't use, I either give some away or I freeze the rest to last me the week. Bread prices at the stores have soared lately as has everything else. Below is a simple recipe I use, making approximately 4 medium loaves. You can use about 3 C. of white flour and the rest whole wheat flour if your family aren't big fans of wheat.

Whole Wheat Bread

5-6 C. hot tap water (hot to the touch but not enough to burn finger)
2/3 C. vegetable oil
2/3 C. honey
2 Tbs. dough enhancer
2 Tbs. instant yeast (I recommend SAF Yeast)
2 Tbs. salt
2 Tbs. wheat gluten
12-16 C. freshly ground whole wheat flour

Pour warm water into your Bosch mixing bowl. Add approximately 6 C. flour on top of the liquid. Add dough enhancer, oil, honey, yeast, and gluten. Use the momentary (M) switch to mix well. Then add approximately 5 additional C. of flour, and your 2 Tbs. salt. Turn to speed 2 on your machine. Continue adding flour 1/4 C. at a time until the dough pulls away cleanly from the sides of the bowl. Continue kneading at this speed for another 5 minutes. Oil or grease hands and counter with oil. Divide the dough into equal portions and shape into loaves. Put into well greased pans. Let rise until doubled in size. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack. Top of loaves can be rubbed with water or butter for shiny and moist appearance. This dough can also be used for the pizza crust or cinnamon rolls. Yummo!!

No comments: