Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Business of Paperwork

So I got down to business today. The business of filing that is. It has been about two weeks since I filed all the paperwork that was sitting in a basket, in its respective folders. These are papers such as bills, receipts, letters, and other documents. I usually do this on a weekly basis, however, time just slipped away from me this past week and it was starting to become out of hand. So here I've listed my usual 3 rules for filing:

  • File your papers on a weekly basis

If you do this, paperwork will not start to pile up making it harder to just sit down and file them.

  • Have a "home" for each piece of paper

Create folders for each bill, subject, etc. in a file cabinet.

  • See if it's tax deductible.

If it's tax deductible, file right away in that folder so you will be ready come tax season. I make a tax deductible file in January.

Keeping your papers organized, you will feel a sense of relief knowing that you can go to where it's filed and it will be there when you need it.

No comments: