Thursday, October 9, 2008

3 Things That Need To Be Done Before Moving

We finally sold our house! Read my post A House For Sale to read about that adventure. Anyway when it comes down to it, there are only a few items that I think really need to be done before moving, besides the changing of addresses, etc.



Pack up the small stuff ahead of time. I started moving the small stuff out of the house way back when I originally moved out. My situation was different though and that helped a whole lot! This would include extra linens, books, etc. Leave the bigger items to be moved out such as beds, dressers, etc. at a later date, the day you actually need to sleep in your new house. Get your drawers and closets cleaned out so that nothing is left behind. I've left "stuff" before in closets that I thought I cleaned out.



Rent a truck, hire some help, or do it yourself. I don't always advocate renting a truck or hiring help but at this juncture of my move, but that may be a possibility this time around. It seems that everyone is busy that I normally could count on. So that means other means. I can't believe that a 30 day time frame has almost come and gone! Maybe I will have to consider renting that truck. Does it come with helpers?



Clean for the next tenants. This may be obvious but I've actually moved into a place before that wasn't ready for us to move in. It was gross! When I moved into another house, not only did I have to clean after the previous owners, but after moving in, I felt like I needed to clean again after we moved in. That was not efficient to say the least. Save this job for the very last, after everything has been moved out.



1 comment:

Karina Russell said...

Wow did this article ever hit home. I'm a fellow blogger and also about to move hopefully - just received an offer on the house. I am sure my moving experiences will be showing up on my blog. Please visit me at www.anamericanhomemaker.blogspot.com.